I love roasted vegetable that are cooked with a turkey or chicken. They are definitely high up on my favorite food list…but I would never roast a chicken or turkey on my own. I was at shopping at Whole Foods and the butcher convinced me to buy a small (4-5 pound) whole chicken. After keeping in my freezer for quite some time, I finally decided to tackle the bird and prepare a meal with it. Thanks to Pintrest, which taught me you can make a chicken in a crock pot and a cute little old lady patient of mine, that taught me how to prepare a whole chicken….I found a recipe that I love.
What you need: – 4-5# chicken (or just make sure that it will fit in your crock pot)
– 1 orange
– 1 lemon
– 4 cloves garlic
– carrots, potatoes, celery or whatever vegetables you would like to roast and in whatever quantity you would like/ fits
– 1 teaspoon black pepper
– 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
Steps: 1. Prepare and cut your vegetables and place in the bottom of your crockpot
2. Next combine your spices and rub them into the cavity of the chicken and on the outside skin
3. Add 2 cloves of garlic inside the cavity of your chicken and 2 cloves with the vegetables
4. quarter your lemon and orange and place inside the cavity of the chicken and place chicken on top of vegetables in crockpot
5. Cook on low for about 6 hours or until the internal temp is 165 degrees
You can save your left over chicken carcass and vegetable scraps to make a delicious homemade stock as well. Recipe to come!