I make this recipe EVERY Sunday night. Not only because Grace loves it, but it seems like whoever ends up feeding her loves it as well. I cook the apples with the skin on to give the applesauce a nice pink color and I find it easier to scoop the inside of the apple out than peeling all the apples ahead of time.
What you need:
– 2 pounds of Organic Gala apples – I use this Gala because it makes the applesauce the perfect sweetness without needs added sugar or juice like other recipes.
Side note:Try organic if possible since apples are number 1 on the ‘dirty dozen’ list – which just means they contain the most amount of pesticides out of all the tested fruits and vegetables. See this website for more information on this.
– 3/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
– Steam pot – I LOVE this one
– Beaba Babycook , Food processor, Blender – Something to puree the apples or a fork if you prefer a chunkier consistency
1. Cut the apple in to fourths around the core
2. Place apples into steam basket and cook for about 15 minutes (until the apples are soft and you can stick a fork into them easily)
3. Let cool – once cool scoop the inside of the apple out of the skins and place into food processor, blender or I use my Beaba Babycook
4. Add the cinnamon, blend and ENJOY – if you want chunkier applesauce just mash with a fork instead to the desired consistency.
Applesauce is great to add to oatmeal, yogurt, meat purees and can be add instead of oil to baked goods for you or baby – it’s always great to have on hand.